Frontal lobe seizures can result from abnormalities — such as tumors, stroke, infection, or traumatic injuries — in the brain's frontal lobes. An abnormal gene causes a rare inherited disorder called autosomal dominant nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy. If one of your parents has this form of frontal lobe epilepsy, you have a 50 percent chance of inheriting the gene and developing the disease yourself.
In most cases, however, the cause of frontal lobe epilepsy remains unknown.
July 03, 2013
- Seizures and epilepsy: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/epilepsy/detail_epilepsy.htm. Accessed April 19, 2013.
- Frontal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy Foundation. http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/aboutepilepsy/syndromes/frontallobeepilepsy.cfm. Accessed April 19, 2013.
- LaFrance WC Jr, et al. Differentiating frontal lobe epilepsy from psychogenic nonepileptic seizures. Neurologic Clinics. 2011;29:149.
- Benbadis SR. Localization-related (partial) epilepsy: Causes and clinical features. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 18, 2013.
- O'Muircheartaigh J, et al. Epilepsy and the frontal lobes. Cortex. 2012;48:144.
- Surges R, et al. Sudden unexpected death in epilepsy: Mechanisms, prevalence, and prevention. Current Opinion in Neurology. 2012;25:201.
- Leach JP, et al. Modern management of epilepsy. Clinical Medicine. 2013;13:84.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed April 19, 2013.
- Hirsch LJ, et al. Video and ambulatory EEG monitoring in the diagnosis of seizures and epilepsy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 18, 2013.
- Englot DJ, et al. Rates and predictors of long-term seizure freedom after frontal lobe epilepsy surgery: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Neurosurgery. 2012;116:1042.
- Wiebe S, et al. Epilepsy surgery utilization: Who, when, where, and why? Current Opinion in Neurology. 2012;25:187.
- Lazow SP, et al. Outcome of frontal lobe epilepsy surgery. Epilepsia. 2012;53:1746.
- Morrell MJ, et al. Responsive cortical stimulation for the treatment of medically intractable partial epilepsy. Neurology 2011;77:1295.
- Prunettia P, et al. New and forthcoming anti-epileptic drugs. Current Opinion in Neurology. 2011;24:159.
- eCommunities. Epilepsy Foundation. http://epilepsyfoundation.ning.com/. Accessed April 19, 2013.
- Living with epilepsy. Epilepsy.com. http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/living_epilepsy. Accessed April 19, 2013.
- Wells RE, et al. Complementary and alternative medicine use among U.S. adults with common neurological conditions. Journal of Neurology. 2010;257:1822.
- Schachter SC. Complementary and alternative medical therapies. Current Opinion in Neurology. 2008;21:184.
- Daroff RB, et al. Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0434-1..C2009-0-40427-6--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0434-1&uniqId=364938937-2. Accessed April 18, 2013.
- Nicoll D, et al. Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests. 6th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=56995240. Accessed April 22, 2013.
- Devinsky O, et al. Alternative Therapies for Epilepsy. New York, N.Y.: Demos Medical Publishing; 2012.
- Levy RG, et al. Ketogenic diet and other dietary treatments for epilepsy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD001903.pub2/abstract. Accessed April 26, 2013.
- Gloss D, et al. Cannabinoids for epilepsy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD009270.pub2/abstract. Accessed April 26, 2013.
- Wyllie E, et al. Wyllie's Treatment of Epilepsy. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2011:771.
- Scheffer IE, et al. Autosomal dominant nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy. Brain. 1995;118:61.
- Sirven JI (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. April 25, 2013.
- Wang A, et al. Functional magnetic resonance imaging for language mapping in temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy Research and Treatment. 2012;2012:198183.
- Von Oertzen TJ, et al. Prospective use of subtraction ictal SPECT coregistered to MRI (SISCOM) in presurgical evaluation of epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2011;52:2239.
- Miller RD, et al. Miller's Anesthesia. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06959-8..X0001-5&isbn=978-0-443-06959-8&uniqId=410621892-4#4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06959-8..X0001-5--TOP. Accessed May 7, 2013.