Food handling and preparation are very important when you have food allergies. Discover ways to stay safe when you're at home or away.
Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Find out how acupuncture works, who should avoid it and what conditions it can treat.
Itching, sneezing and swelling: Find out what's causing your allergy symptoms.
Anaphylaxis is the most serious type of allergic reaction. It often occurs rapidly after exposure to an allergen and may be life-threatening.
Diarrhea can have many triggers, including viruses, bacteria, parasites and certain medications. Though unpleasant, most cases of diarrhea go away without treatment.
Do labels list the foods you're allergic to? Find out what's included — and what's not.
Giving up gluten doesn't mean giving up taste. Check out these gluten-free recipes.
Hives and angioedema — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, treatment of these common allergic disorders.
Nasal congestion: Causes and when to see a doctor.
Feb. 12, 2014
- Gupta RS, et al. Childhood food allergies: Current diagnosis, treatment, and management strategies. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2013;88:512.
- Ferri FF. Practical Guide to the Care of the Medical Patient. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 10, 2013.
- Boyce JA, et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of food allergy in the United States: Report of the NIAID-sponsored expert panel. Bethesda, Md.: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/foodallergy/clinical/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Burks W. Clinical manifestations of food allergy: An overview. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Food allergy: An overview. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/foodallergy/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Nowak-Wegrzyn A. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of oral allergy syndrome (pollen-food allergy syndrome). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Food allergy: Tips to remember. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/at-a-glance/food-allergy.aspx. Accessed Sept. 10, 2013.
- Sicherer SH, et al. Advances in allergic skin disease, anaphylaxis, and hypersensitivity reactions to foods, drugs, and insects in 2012. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2013;131:55.
- Wisniewski JA, et al. Alternative and complementary treatment for food allergy. Immunology Clinics of North America. 2012;32:135.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.