Food allergy is an immune system reaction that occurs soon after eating a certain food. Even a tiny amount of the allergy-causing food can trigger signs and symptoms such as digestive problems, hives or swollen airways. In some people, a food allergy can cause severe symptoms or even a life-threatening reaction known as anaphylaxis.
Food allergy affects an estimated 6 to 8 percent of children under age 3 and up to 3 percent of adults. While there's no cure, some children outgrow their food allergy as they get older.
It's easy to confuse a food allergy with a much more common reaction known as food intolerance. While bothersome, food intolerance is a less serious condition that does not involve the immune system.
May 02, 2017
- Luyt D, et al. Diagnosis and management of food allergy in children. Paediatrics and Child Health. 2016;26:7.
- Boyce JA, et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of food allergy in the United States: Report of the NIAID-sponsored expert panel. Bethesda, Md.: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/foodallergy/clinical/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Sept. 19, 2016.
- Food allergy. American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology. http://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies. Accessed Sept. 19, 2016.
- Feldweg AM. Exercise-induced anaphylaxis: Clinical manifestations, epidemiology, pathogenesis, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 19, 2016.
- Nowak-Wegrzyn A. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of oral allergy syndrome (pollen-food allergy syndrome). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 19, 2016.
- Food allergy. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology. https://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/at-a-glance/food-allergy. Accessed Sept. 19, 2016.
- What is celiac disease? Celiac Support association. https://www.csaceliacs.org/celiac_disease_defined.jsp. Accessed Sept. 27, 2016.
- Burks W. Clinical manifestations of food allergy: An overview. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 19, 2016.
- Wood RA, et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of omalizumab combined with oral immunotherapy for the treatment of cow's milk allergy. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2016;137:1103.
- Patel BY, et al. Food allergy: Common causes, diagnosis, and treatment. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2015;90:1411.
- 12 tips for avoiding cross-contact of food allergens. Kids With Food Allergies. http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/page/prevent-allergic-reactions-in-your-home.aspx. Accessed Sept. 27, 2016.
- 10 school planning tips when your child has a food allergy. Kids With Food Allergies. http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/page/food-allergy-school-planning-tips-for-parents.aspx. Accessed Sept. 27, 2016.
- Egan M, et al. Doctor, my child is bullied: Food allergy management in schools. Current Opinion in Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2016;16:291.
- Food allergy. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Sept. 20, 2016.