Research on alternative food allergy treatments is limited. However, many people do try them and claim that certain treatments help.
Feb. 12, 2014
Herbal remedies. A few small studies of herbal remedies have shown some benefit in reducing symptoms and preventing anaphylaxis, including some Chinese medicine formulas. However, there's no reliable proof yet that these work.
In addition, concerns exist about the quality of some herbal preparations from China. If you do take an herbal remedy, be sure to tell your doctor about it. It may affect test results or interact with other medications you take.
- Acupuncture and acupressure. There's little academic research on acupuncture for food allergies, and the studies that do exist don't show a clear benefit from these techniques. If you decide to try one of these treatments, be sure you work with an experienced and certified provider.
- Gupta RS, et al. Childhood food allergies: Current diagnosis, treatment, and management strategies. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2013;88:512.
- Ferri FF. Practical Guide to the Care of the Medical Patient. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 10, 2013.
- Boyce JA, et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of food allergy in the United States: Report of the NIAID-sponsored expert panel. Bethesda, Md.: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/foodallergy/clinical/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Burks W. Clinical manifestations of food allergy: An overview. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Food allergy: An overview. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/foodallergy/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Nowak-Wegrzyn A. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of oral allergy syndrome (pollen-food allergy syndrome). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Food allergy: Tips to remember. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/at-a-glance/food-allergy.aspx. Accessed Sept. 10, 2013.
- Sicherer SH, et al. Advances in allergic skin disease, anaphylaxis, and hypersensitivity reactions to foods, drugs, and insects in 2012. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2013;131:55.
- Wisniewski JA, et al. Alternative and complementary treatment for food allergy. Immunology Clinics of North America. 2012;32:135.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.