Fibroadenomas are solid breast lumps or masses that usually are:
- Round with distinct borders
- Easily moved
- Firm or rubbery
A fibroadenoma may feel like a marble within your breast when you press on it. You can have one or many fibroadenomas. Fibroadenomas range in size from being too small to be felt — detected only by mammogram or ultrasound — to 3 inches (8 centimeters) or more in diameter.
When to see a doctor
In healthy women, normal breast tissue often feels lumpy. If you detect a new breast lump or a change in your breasts — or if a breast lump you've had checked before seems to have grown or otherwise changed — make an appointment with your doctor.
May 02, 2014
- Non-cancerous breast conditions: Fibroadenomas. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/healthy/findcancerearly/womenshealth/non-cancerousbreastconditions/non-cancerous-breast-conditions-fibroadenomas. Accessed Jan. 24, 2014.
- Sabel MS. Overview of benign breast disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 24, 2014.
- Understanding breast changes: A health guide for women. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/screening/understanding-breast-changes/AllPages. Accessed Jan. 24, 2014.
- Harvey JA, et al. ACR appropriateness criteria palpable breast masses. Journal of the American College of Radiology. 2013;10:742.
- Lehman CD, et al. Accuracy and value of breast ultrasound for primary imaging evaluation of symptomatic women 30-39 years of age. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2012;199:1169.
- Papadakis MA, ed., et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2014. 53rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Jan. 24, 2014.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 5, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.