Most fibroadenomas don't affect your risk of breast cancer. However, your breast cancer risk might increase slightly if you have a complex fibroadenoma — which may contain abnormal cysts or dense, opaque tissue called calcifications. A pathologist makes the diagnosis of a complex fibroadenoma after reviewing the tissue from a biopsy of the lump.
May 02, 2014
- Non-cancerous breast conditions: Fibroadenomas. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/healthy/findcancerearly/womenshealth/non-cancerousbreastconditions/non-cancerous-breast-conditions-fibroadenomas. Accessed Jan. 24, 2014.
- Sabel MS. Overview of benign breast disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 24, 2014.
- Understanding breast changes: A health guide for women. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/screening/understanding-breast-changes/AllPages. Accessed Jan. 24, 2014.
- Harvey JA, et al. ACR appropriateness criteria palpable breast masses. Journal of the American College of Radiology. 2013;10:742.
- Lehman CD, et al. Accuracy and value of breast ultrasound for primary imaging evaluation of symptomatic women 30-39 years of age. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2012;199:1169.
- Papadakis MA, ed., et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2014. 53rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Jan. 24, 2014.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 5, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.