You normally lose about 10 cups (2.4 liters) of water every day — much more during exercise or illness. Learn how to stay hydrated.
What first-aid steps to take if you or someone else has a fever.
Should you treat a fever or let it run its course? Here's help making the call.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Considering buying a thermometer? Know the different types of thermometers and which style will work best for your family.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
May. 29, 2014
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Feb. 4, 2014.
- What to do in a medical emergency: Fever. American College of Emergency Physicians. http://www.emergencycareforyou.org/EmergencyManual/WhatToDoInMedicalEmergency/Default.aspx?id=242. Accessed Feb. 17, 2014.
- Fever. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/sec14/ch167/ch167e.html. Accessed Feb. 4, 2014.
- Fever and your child. American Academy of Pediatrics. http://patiented.aap.org/content.aspx?aid=5107. Accessed Feb. 17, 2014.
- Schmitt BD. Pediatric Telephone Protocols. 14th ed. Elk Grove Village, Ill.: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2013:120-124.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 4, 2014.
- Wing R, et al. Fever in the pediatric patient. Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America. 2013;31:1073.
- Ward MA. Fever in infants and children: Pathophysiology and management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 4, 2014.
- Febrile seizures fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/febrile_seizures/detail_febrile_seizures.htm. Accessed Feb. 4, 2014.
- Laptook AR, et al. Admission temperature of low birth weight infants: Predictors and associated morbidities. Pediatrics. 2007;119:e643.
- Fever in adults. The Merck Manuals: Home Edition for Patients and Caregivers. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/infections/biology_of_infectious_disease/fever_in_adults.html. Feb. 25, 2014.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 4, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.