Diabetic hypoglycemia — Comprehensive overview covers causes, symptoms and treatment of low blood sugar.
Childhood obesity can cause health problems that last a lifetime. When should you worry? And what can you do?
Polyhydramnios — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes and treatment of excessive amniotic fluid in pregnancy.
During pregnancy, healthy lifestyle choices are more important than ever — especially if you have diabetes. Consider this action plan for a healthy pregnancy.
Pregnancy may seem like the perfect time to sit back and relax, but it's actually a great time to get active. Here's why — and how.
Being obese during pregnancy can pose health risks for you and your baby. Get the facts about obesity and pregnancy.
Tests and diagnosis
Nonstress test — Overview covers definition and results of this prenatal test.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Treatments and drugs
C-section — Overview covers why it's done, risks, what you can expect and tips for recovery.
May. 24, 2012
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Your Pregnancy and Childbirth Month to Month. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists; 2010:241.
- Abramocwicz JS, et al. Fetal macrosomia. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 13, 2012.
- Rodis JF. Timing and route of delivery in pregnancies at risk of shoulder dystocia. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 13, 2012.
- Mandy GT. Large for gestational age newborn. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 13, 2012.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6036563. Accessed March 14, 2012.
- DeCherney AH, et al.. Current Diagnosis & Treatment Obstetrics & Gynecology. 10th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2384988. Accessed March 14, 2012.
- Gibbs RS, et al. Danforth's Obstetrics and Gynecology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008. http://www.danforthsobgyn.com. Accessed March 19, 2012.
- Chatfield J. ACOG issues guidelines on fetal macrosomia. American Family Physician. 2001;64:169.
- Rodis JF. Intrapartum management and outcome of shoulder dystocia. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 20, 2012.
- Routine prenatal care. Bloomington, Minn.: Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement. http://www.icsi.org/guidelines_and_more/gl_os_prot/womens_health/prenatal_care_4/prenatal_care__routine__3.html. Accessed March 20, 2012.
- Tse G, et al. Weight gain and loss in pregnancy. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 20, 2012.
- Mulik, et al. The outcome of macrosomic fetuses in a low risk primigravid population. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 2003;80:15.
- Hackmon R, et al. Combined analysis with amniotic fluid index and estimated fetal weight for prediction of severe macrosomia at birth. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2007;196:333.e1.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins - Obstetrics. ACOG Practice Bulletin No.60. Pregestational diabetes mellitus. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2005;105:675.
- Raio L, et al. Perinatal outcome of fetuses with a birth weight greater than 4500 g: An analysis of 3356 cases. European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology. 2003;109:160.
- Special tests for monitoring fetal health. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp098.cfm. Accessed March 20, 2012.
- Gillen-Goldstein J, et al. Assessment of fetal lung maturity. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 20, 2012.
- Wegner EK, et al. Operative vaginal delivery. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 21, 2012.
- McCulloch DK, et al. Prediction and prevention of type 2 diabetes. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 21, 2012.
- What is metabolic syndrome? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ms/. Accessed March 21, 2012.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 22, 2012.
- Cleary-Goldman J, et al. Impact of maternal age on obstetric outcome. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2005;105:983.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.