Children who have a congenital heart defect have a structural flaw in the heart. Congenital heart defects in children are rare, but often treatable.
Coping and support
Feeling helpless about your loved one's destructive behavior? Mobilize family, friends or colleagues in a plan to end denial and start treatment.
Drinking alcohol might offer some health benefits. But that's only if you drink responsibly and in moderation.
Eating healthy foods is only part of pregnancy nutrition. It's important to avoid harmful foods, too.
Microcephaly — Comprehensive overview covers causes and management of this rare neurological condition.
May. 21, 2011
- Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: Fact sheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/fasd/documents/FASD_english_spanish.pdf. Accessed March 30, 2011.
- Bailey BA, et al. Pregnancy and alcohol use: Evidence and recommendations for prenatal care. Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2008;51:436.
- Drinking alcohol during pregnancy. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/alcohol_indepth.html. Accessed March 30, 2011.
- Effects of alcohol on a fetus. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. http://store.samhsa.gov/shin/content//SMA07-4255/SMA07-4255.pdf. Accessed March 30, 2011.
- Burd L, et al. Diagnosis of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: A validity study of the fetal alcohol syndrome checklist. Alcohol. 2010;44:605.
- Understanding fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: Getting a diagnosis. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. http://fasdcenter.samhsa.gov/documents/WYNKDiagnosis_5_colorJA_new.pdf. Accessed March 30, 2011.