Some factors may increase your risk of sexual dysfunction:
March 05, 2016
- Depression or anxiety
- Heart and blood vessel disease
- Neurological conditions, such as spinal cord injury or multiple sclerosis
- Liver or kidney failure
- Certain medications, such as antidepressants or high blood pressure medications
- Emotional or psychological stress, especially with regard to your relationship with your partner
- A history of sexual abuse
- Shifren JL. Sexual dysfunction in women: Epidemiology, risk factors, and evaluation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 4, 2015.
- Shifren JL. Sexual dysfunction in women: Management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 4, 2015.
- McCool ME, et al. Prevalence and predictors of female sexual dysfunction: A protocol for a systematic review. Systematic Reviews. 2014;3:1.
- Fact sheet: Female sexual dysfunction. Hormone Health Network. http://www.hormone.org/questions-and-answers/2012/female-sexual-dysfunction. Accessed July 4, 2015.
- Effective treatments for sexual problems. The North American Menopause Society. http://www.menopause.org/for-women/sexual-health-menopause-online/effective-treatments-for-sexual-problems. Accessed July 10, 2015.
- Overview of female sexual function and dysfunction. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gynecology-and-obstetrics/sexual-dysfunction-in-women/overview-of-female-sexual-function-and-dysfunction. Accessed July 10, 2015.
- Khamba B, et al. The efficacy of treatment of sexual dysfunction secondary to antidepressants. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2013;19:862.
- Laughlin-Tommaso, SK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 16, 2015.
- FDA approves first treatment for sexual desire disorder. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm458734.htm. Accessed Aug. 18, 2015.
- Addyi (prescribing information). Raleigh, N.C.: Sprout Pharmaceuticals Inc.; 2015. http://www.addyi.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/addyi-pi-8-18-15-FINAL2.pdf. Accessed Aug. 18, 2015.
- Jaspers L, et al. Efficacy and safety of flibanserin for the treatment of hypoactive sexual desire disorder in women. JAMA Internal Medicine. In press. Accessed March 2, 2016.