Lifestyle and home remedies
Eat more fiber. You've probably heard it before. But do you know why fiber is so good for your health?
Kegel exercises aren't just for women. Find out how men can use Kegel exercises to strengthen their pelvic floor muscles.
Are your pelvic floor muscles in good shape? Tone them with Kegel exercises — which you can do discreetly just about anytime and anywhere.
Tests and diagnosis
Has your doctor recommended a flexible sigmoidoscopy exam? Here's what you need to know about preparation and the exam itself.
Nov. 06, 2012
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed Oct. 2, 2012.
- Fecal incontinence. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/fecalincontinence/index.aspx. Accessed Oct. 3, 2012.
- Bharucha AE. Recent advances in functional anorectal disorders. Current Gastroenterology Report. 2011;13:316.
- Whitehead WE, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of pelvic floor disorders: What's new and what's to do. Gastroenterology. 2010;138:1231.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1604-7..C2009-0-42832-0--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-1604-7&uniqId=327451096-2. Accessed Oct. 3, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.