Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Foot pain? Headache? Sore throat? Skin rash? Use the Symptom Checker to find out what's causing your symptom.
Tests and diagnosis
Eye exam — Overview covers definition, what to expect and results of vision testing.
Treatments and drugs
Think LASIK might free you from glasses? Here's help understanding whether the procedure makes sense for you.
Thinking about trying contact lenses? Here's an overview of the basic choices — plus tips to keep you seeing clearly.
LASIK eye surgery — Overview covers definition, risks, what to expect from vision correction surgery.
April 09, 2015
- Bower KS. Laser refractive surgery. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Care of the patient with hyperopia. St. Louis, Mo.: American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/documents/CPG-16.pdf. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Preferred practice patterns: Refractive errors and refractive surgery. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/preferred-practice-pattern/refractive-errors--surgery-ppp-2013. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Overview of refractive error. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye_disorders/refractive_error/overview_of_refractive_error.html?qt=refractive error&alt=sh. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Frequency of ocular examinations - 2015. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/clinical-statement/frequency-of-ocular-examinations--november-2009. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- What is an ophthalmologist? American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/living/what-is-an-ophthalmologist.cfm. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Eye health tips. National Eye Institute. https://www.nei.nih.gov/healthyeyes/eyehealthtips. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 28, 2015.