Farsightedness (hyperopia) is a common vision condition in which you can see distant objects clearly, but objects nearby may be blurry.
The degree of your farsightedness influences your focusing ability. People with severe farsightedness may see clearly only objects a great distance away, while those with mild farsightedness may be able to clearly see objects that are closer.
Farsightedness usually is present at birth and tends to run in families. You can easily correct this condition with eyeglasses or contact lenses. Another treatment option is surgery.
April 09, 2015
- Bower KS. Laser refractive surgery. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Care of the patient with hyperopia. St. Louis, Mo.: American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/documents/CPG-16.pdf. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Preferred practice patterns: Refractive errors and refractive surgery. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/preferred-practice-pattern/refractive-errors--surgery-ppp-2013. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Overview of refractive error. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye_disorders/refractive_error/overview_of_refractive_error.html?qt=refractive error&alt=sh. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Frequency of ocular examinations - 2015. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/clinical-statement/frequency-of-ocular-examinations--november-2009. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- What is an ophthalmologist? American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/living/what-is-an-ophthalmologist.cfm. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Eye health tips. National Eye Institute. https://www.nei.nih.gov/healthyeyes/eyehealthtips. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 28, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.