Farsightedness can be associated with several problems, such as:
April 09, 2015
- Crossed eyes. Some children with farsightedness may develop crossed eyes. Specially designed eyeglasses that correct for part or all of the farsightedness may effectively treat this problem.
- Reduced quality of life. Uncorrected farsightedness can affect your quality of life. You might not be able to perform a task as well as you wish. And your limited vision may detract from your enjoyment of day-to-day activities. In children, untreated farsightedness may cause learning problems.
- Eyestrain. Uncorrected farsightedness may cause you to squint or strain your eyes to maintain focus. This can lead to eyestrain and headaches.
- Impaired safety. For your own safety and that of others, don't drive or operate mechanical equipment if you have an uncorrected vision problem.
- Bower KS. Laser refractive surgery. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Care of the patient with hyperopia. St. Louis, Mo.: American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/documents/CPG-16.pdf. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Preferred practice patterns: Refractive errors and refractive surgery. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/preferred-practice-pattern/refractive-errors--surgery-ppp-2013. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Overview of refractive error. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye_disorders/refractive_error/overview_of_refractive_error.html?qt=refractive error&alt=sh. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Frequency of ocular examinations - 2015. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/clinical-statement/frequency-of-ocular-examinations--november-2009. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- What is an ophthalmologist? American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/living/what-is-an-ophthalmologist.cfm. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Eye health tips. National Eye Institute. https://www.nei.nih.gov/healthyeyes/eyehealthtips. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 28, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.