Farsightedness can be associated with several problems, such as:
Apr. 24, 2012
- Crossed eyes. Some children with farsightedness may develop crossed eyes. Specially designed eyeglasses that correct for part or all of the farsightedness may effectively treat this problem.
- Reduced quality of life. Uncorrected farsightedness can affect your quality of life. You might not be able to perform a task as well as you wish, and your limited vision may detract from your enjoyment of day-to-day activities. In children, untreated farsightedness may cause learning problems.
- Eyestrain. Uncorrected farsightedness may cause you to squint or strain your eyes to maintain focus. This can lead to eyestrain and headaches.
- Impaired safety. For your own safety and that of others, don't drive or operate heavy equipment if you have an uncorrected vision problem.
- Bower KS. Laser refractive surgery. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Feb. 25, 2012.
- Care of the patient with hyperopia. St. Louis, Mo.: American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/documents/CPG-16.pdf. Accessed Feb. 22, 2012.
- Preferred practice patterns: Refractive errors and refractive surgery. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/CE/PracticeGuidelines/PPP_Content.aspx?cid=e6930284-2c41-48d5-afd2-631dec586286. Accessed Feb. 25, 2012.
- Refractive error. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec09/ch099/ch099a.html. Accessed Feb. 22, 2012.
- Frequency of ocular examinations. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/CE/PracticeGuidelines/ClinicalStatements_Content.aspx?cid=810eaf61-181e-41c8-a0e8-e1d122efe5a4. Accessed Feb. 25, 2012.
- Opticians, dispensing. U.S. Department of Labor. http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos098.htm. Accessed Feb. 25, 2012.
- Eye health tips. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/healthyeyes/eyehealthtips.asp. Accessed Feb. 25, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.