DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Eyestrain is a common condition that occurs when your eyes get tired from intense use, such as while driving long distances or staring at computer screens and other digital devices.
Eyestrain can be annoying. But it usually isn't serious and goes away once you rest your eyes or take other steps to reduce your eye discomfort. In some cases, signs and symptoms of eyestrain can indicate an underlying eye condition that needs treatment.
Aug. 13, 2015
- Computers and your eyes. Prevent Blindness America. http://www.preventblindness.org/computers-and-your-eyes. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Rosenfield M. Computer vision syndrome: A review of ocular causes and potential treatments. Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics. 2011;31:502.
- Eye health tips. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/healthyeyes/eyehealthtips.asp. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Computer vision syndrome (CVS). American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/caring-for-your-vision/protecting-your-vision/computer-vision-syndreome. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Ergonomics at work. Office of Management. National Institutes of Health. http://www.ors.od.nih.gov/sr/dohs/HealthAndSafety/Ergonomics/atwork/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Ko P, et al. Effect of font size and glare on computer tasks in young and older adults. Optometry and Vision Science. 2014;91:682.
- Dehghan H, et al. The effects of state anxiety and thermal comfort on sleep quality and eye fatigue in shift work nurses. Journal of Education and Health Promotion. 2014;3:72.
- Tribley J, et al. Tips for computer vision syndrome relief and prevention. Work. 2011;39:85.
- AskMayoExpert. Dry eye disease. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Computer workstations etool. Occupational Safety & Health Administration. http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/computerworkstations/components.html. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Bhargava R, et al. Oral omega-3 fatty acids treatment in computer vision syndrome related dry eye. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye. 2015;38:206.
- Kochurova O, et al. Is the 3x reading rule appropriate for computer users? Displays. 2015;38:38. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0141938215000323. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- What is dry eye? American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/dry-eye/index.cfm. Accessed June 2, 2015.
- Ozawa Y, et al. Bilberry extract supplementation for preventing eye fatigue in video display terminal workers. Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging. 2015;19:548. http//www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 20, 2015.
- Preferred Practice Pattern: Dry eye syndrome. San Francisco, Calif.: American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.aao.org/summary-benchmark-detail/dry-eye-syndrome-summary-benchmark--october-2012. Accessed July 21, 2015.
- Yan Z, et al. Computer vision syndrome: A widely spreading but largely unknown epidemic among computer users. Computers in Human Behavior. 2008;24:2026.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 3, 2015.