Eyestrain doesn't have serious or long-term consequences, but it can be aggravating and unpleasant. It can make you tired and reduce your ability to concentrate.
Aug. 13, 2015
- Computers and your eyes. Prevent Blindness America. http://www.preventblindness.org/computers-and-your-eyes. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Rosenfield M. Computer vision syndrome: A review of ocular causes and potential treatments. Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics. 2011;31:502.
- Eye health tips. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/healthyeyes/eyehealthtips.asp. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Computer vision syndrome (CVS). American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/caring-for-your-vision/protecting-your-vision/computer-vision-syndreome. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Ergonomics at work. Office of Management. National Institutes of Health. http://www.ors.od.nih.gov/sr/dohs/HealthAndSafety/Ergonomics/atwork/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Ko P, et al. Effect of font size and glare on computer tasks in young and older adults. Optometry and Vision Science. 2014;91:682.
- Dehghan H, et al. The effects of state anxiety and thermal comfort on sleep quality and eye fatigue in shift work nurses. Journal of Education and Health Promotion. 2014;3:72.
- Tribley J, et al. Tips for computer vision syndrome relief and prevention. Work. 2011;39:85.
- AskMayoExpert. Dry eye disease. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Computer workstations etool. Occupational Safety & Health Administration. http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/computerworkstations/components.html. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Bhargava R, et al. Oral omega-3 fatty acids treatment in computer vision syndrome related dry eye. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye. 2015;38:206.
- Kochurova O, et al. Is the 3x reading rule appropriate for computer users? Displays. 2015;38:38. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0141938215000323. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- What is dry eye? American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/dry-eye/index.cfm. Accessed June 2, 2015.
- Ozawa Y, et al. Bilberry extract supplementation for preventing eye fatigue in video display terminal workers. Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging. 2015;19:548. http//www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 20, 2015.
- Preferred Practice Pattern: Dry eye syndrome. San Francisco, Calif.: American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.aao.org/summary-benchmark-detail/dry-eye-syndrome-summary-benchmark--october-2012. Accessed July 21, 2015.
- Yan Z, et al. Computer vision syndrome: A widely spreading but largely unknown epidemic among computer users. Computers in Human Behavior. 2008;24:2026.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 3, 2015.