There's no sure way to prevent eye melanoma. While there's little evidence to suggest that ultraviolet (UV) light from the sun may increase the risk of eye melanoma, wearing sunglasses to protect your eyes from UV light can reduce your risk of other eye problems, such as cataracts.
When selecting sunglasses, look for ones that have:
Aug. 08, 2012
- Protection against two types of UV light. Two types of UV light can damage your eyes — UVA and UVB. Look for sunglasses that block both types.
- Uniform tinting. Look for lenses that are uniformly dark. Avoid lenses that seem lighter in some spots and darker in others.
- Dark lenses. Try the sunglasses on and look into a mirror. If you can clearly see your eyes through the lenses, the sunglasses aren't dark enough.
- Frames that block light from the side. Some frames, called wraparound frames, are made to block light from the side.
- Yanoff M, et al. Ophthalmology. 3rd ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/199400089-5/0/1869/0.html. Accessed June 5, 2012.
- Intraocular (eye) melanoma treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/intraocularmelanoma/patient. Accessed June 5, 2012.
- Albert DM, et al. Albert & Jakobiec's Principles and Practice of Ophthalmology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008:4913.
- Leyvraz S, et al. Ocular melanoma: What's new? Current Opinion in Oncology. 2012;2:162.
- Indoor tanning. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/basic_info/indoor_tanning.htm. Accessed June 5, 2012.
- Surgical procedures. American Society of Ocularists. http://www.ocularist.org/resources_surgical_procedures.asp. Accessed June 5, 2012.
- Shopping guide for sunglasses. American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/x6385.xml. Accessed June 5, 2012.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 8, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.