Asthma occurs when the main air passages of the lungs become inflamed, causing wheezing and difficulty breathing. Knowing warning signs can help you manage this chronic condition.
Oct. 25, 2014
- Parsons JP. Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America. 2014;47:119.
- Parsons JP, et al. An official American Thoracic Society clinical practice guideline: Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2013;187:1016.
- Weiler JM, et al. Pathogenesis, prevalence, diagnosis and management of exercise-induced bronchoconstriction: A practice parameter. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2010;105:S1.
- Krafczyk MA, et al. Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction: Diagnosis and management. American Family Physician. 2011;84:427.
- Randolph C. Pediatric exercise-induced bronchoconstriction: Contemporary developments in epidemiology, pathogenesis, presentation, diagnosis and therapy. Current Allergy and Asthma Reports. 2013;13:662.
- Anderson SD, et al. Assessment and prevention of exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2012;46:391.
- Irvin CG. Broncoprovocation testing. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 12, 2014.
- Updated information on leukotriene inhibitors: Montelukast (marketed as Singulair), zafirlukast (marketed as Accolate), and zileuton (marketed as Zyflo and Zyflo CR). http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/DrugSafetyInformationforHeathcareProfessionals/ucm165489.htm. Accessed Oct. 1, 2014.
- Stickland MK, et al. Effect of warm-up exercise on exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2012;44:383.
- Asthma action plans: Help patients take control. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-pro/resources/lung/naci/discover/action-plans.htm. Accessed Sept. 12, 2014.
- Mickleborough TD, et al. Exercise-induced asthma: Nutritional management. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 2011;10:197.
- Li JTC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 22, 2014.