Find out how acupuncture works, who should avoid it and what conditions it can treat.
Can an herbal remedy help erectile dysfunction? A guide to tested and untested options.
Cushing syndrome is caused by an excess of the hormone cortisol, originating from your adrenal glands or from corticosteroid medications you're taking for another illness.
Diabetes can damage nerves throughout your body — a condition known as diabetic neuropathy. Nerve damage can cause pain, disability and other serious complications.
Pituitary tumors are abnormal growths in the pituitary gland in the brain. Most are noncancerous (benign). Some may cause overproduction of hormones and associated problems.
Is your erectile dysfunction a warning about your heart health? Find out now.
Do you tend to put yourself down — or think you're better than others? Consider the benefits of striking a healthy balance between the two extremes.
Lifestyle and home remedies
Kegel exercises aren't just for women. Find out how men can use Kegel exercises to strengthen their pelvic floor muscles.
Curious about the health of your penis? Don't be embarrassed. Consider what it takes to keep your penis healthy.
Autonomic neuropathy refers to damage to or disease affecting the involuntary nerves.Autonomic neuropathy refers to damage to or disease affecting the involuntary nerves.
Tests and diagnosis
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Treatments and drugs
Erectile dysfunction is a common problem for men who have diabetes — but it's not inevitable. Make prevention a priority.
Wondering about erectile dysfunction medications? Find out whether Viagra, Levitra or Cialis might be a good choice for you.
Can't take oral medications for erectile dysfunction? Understand your treatment options.
Penile implants can treat erectile dysfunction when medications don't work. Compare your options and find out about surgery.
Penis pumps are a safe and effective treatment for erectile dysfunction. Find out if they're a good option for you.
Feb. 10, 2012
- Erectile dysfunction. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/ED/. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Diaz JR VA, et al. Male sexual dysfunction. Primary Care Clinics Office Practice. 2010;37:473.
- Erectile dysfunction. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/genitourinary_disorders/male_sexual_dysfunction/erectile_dysfunction.html#v1153706. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- AUA guideline on the management of erectile dysfunction: Diagnosis and treatment recommendations. Linthicum, Md.: American Urological Association. http://www.auanet.org/content/guidelines-and-quality-care/clinical-guidelines.cfm?sub=ed. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Alberson M, et al. Evaluation and treatment of erectile dysfunction. Medical Clinics of North America. 2011;95:201.
- Martin KA. Treatment of male sexual dysfunction. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Erectile dysfunction. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Dec. 5, 2011.
- Aung HH, et al. Alternative therapies for male and female sexual dysfunction. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2004;32:161.
- Hidden risks of erectile dysfunction "treatments" sold online. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048386.htm. Accessed Dec. 5, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.