For men whose erectile dysfunction is caused by obesity, high blood cholesterol (hyperlipidemia) or smoking, Mayo counselors can assist with lifestyle modifications that can help treat erectile dysfunction.
Erection pills, such as Viagra, Levitra, Cialis and Stendra, are an effective treatment for the majority of men with erectile dysfunction. But a large number of men — including those who have diabetes or who have had pelvic surgery or radiation for prostate, bladder or colorectal cancer — have low response rates to erection pills.
Mayo offers many options for these men, including:
Feb. 04, 2015
- Intraurethral therapy
- Penile injection therapies
- Vacuum erection devices
- Cronenwett JL, et al. Rutherford's Vascular Surgery. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier. 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 28, 2014.
- Shamloul R, et al. Erectile dysfunction. The Lancet. 2013;381:153.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 28, 2014.
- Erectile dysfunction. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/ED/. Accessed Oct. 28, 2014.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 30, 2014.
- Erectile dysfunction. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Nov. 1, 2014.
- Hidden risks of erectile dysfunction "treatments" sold online. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048386.htm. Accessed Nov. 2, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 24, 2014.
- Broderick GA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. Nov. 12, 2014.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. Nov. 2, 2014.
- Trost LW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 14, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.