Erectile dysfunction (impotence) occurs when a man can no longer get or keep an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse. Having erection trouble from time to time isn't necessarily a cause for concern. But if erectile dysfunction is an ongoing problem, it may cause stress, cause relationship problems or affect your self-confidence.
Even though it may seem awkward to talk with your doctor about erectile dysfunction, go in for an evaluation. Problems getting or keeping an erection can be a sign of a health condition that needs treatment, such as heart disease or poorly controlled diabetes. Treating an underlying problem may be enough to reverse your erectile dysfunction.
If treating an underlying condition doesn't help your erectile dysfunction, medications or other direct treatments may work.
Feb. 10, 2012
- Erectile dysfunction. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/ED/. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Diaz JR VA, et al. Male sexual dysfunction. Primary Care Clinics Office Practice. 2010;37:473.
- Erectile dysfunction. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/genitourinary_disorders/male_sexual_dysfunction/erectile_dysfunction.html#v1153706. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- AUA guideline on the management of erectile dysfunction: Diagnosis and treatment recommendations. Linthicum, Md.: American Urological Association. http://www.auanet.org/content/guidelines-and-quality-care/clinical-guidelines.cfm?sub=ed. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Alberson M, et al. Evaluation and treatment of erectile dysfunction. Medical Clinics of North America. 2011;95:201.
- Martin KA. Treatment of male sexual dysfunction. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Erectile dysfunction. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Dec. 5, 2011.
- Aung HH, et al. Alternative therapies for male and female sexual dysfunction. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2004;32:161.
- Hidden risks of erectile dysfunction "treatments" sold online. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048386.htm. Accessed Dec. 5, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.