Your doctor is likely to start with a physical exam, to check for enlarged lymph nodes in your groin and an enlarged testicle on the affected side. Your doctor might also do a rectal examination to check for prostate enlargement or tenderness.
After that, your doctor might recommend:
Oct. 07, 2014
- STI screening. A narrow swab is inserted into the end of your penis to obtain a sample of discharge from your urethra. The sample is checked in the laboratory for gonorrhea and chlamydia.
- Urine and blood tests. Samples of your urine and blood are analyzed for abnormalities.
- Ultrasound. This imaging test might be used to rule out testicular torsion. Ultrasound with color Doppler can determine if the blood flow to your testicles is lower than normal — indicating torsion — or higher than normal, which helps confirm the diagnosis of epididymitis.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the causes or types of scrotal masses? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- Eyre RC, et al. Evaluation of the acute scrotum in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- Brenner JS. Causes of scrotal pain in children and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- Schaeffer AJ. Complications of urinary bladder catheters and preventive strategies. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- Hedger MP. Immunophysiology and pathology of inflammation in the testis and epididymis. Journal of Andrology. 2011;32:625.
- AskMayoExpert. What evaluation and treatment are indicated for orchitis as a cause of pediatric testicular or scrotal pain? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Pilatz A. Acute epididymitis in ultrasound: Results of a prospective study with baseline and follow-up investigations in 134 patients. European Journal of Radiology. 2013;82:e762.
- Boettcher M, et al. Differentiation of epididymitis and appendix testis torsion by clinical and ultrasound signs in children. Urology. 2013;82:899.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.