Certain sexual behaviors that can lead to STIs put you at risk of sexually transmitted epididymitis, including having:
- Sex with a partner who has an STI
- Sex without a condom
- A personal history of STI
Risk factors for nonsexually transmitted epididymitis include:
May 07, 2015
- History of prostate or urinary tract infections
- History of medical procedures that affect the urinary tract, such as insertion of a urinary catheter or scope into the penis
- An uncircumcised penis or an anatomical abnormality of the urinary tract
- Prostate enlargement, which increases the risk of bladder infections and epididymitis
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the causes or types of scrotal masses? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- Eyre RC, et al. Evaluation of the acute scrotum in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- Brenner JS. Causes of scrotal pain in children and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- Schaeffer AJ. Complications of urinary bladder catheters and preventive strategies. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- Hedger MP. Immunophysiology and pathology of inflammation in the testis and epididymis. Journal of Andrology. 2011;32:625.
- AskMayoExpert. What evaluation and treatment are indicated for orchitis as a cause of pediatric testicular or scrotal pain? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Pilatz A. Acute epididymitis in ultrasound: Results of a prospective study with baseline and follow-up investigations in 134 patients. European Journal of Radiology. 2013;82:e762.
- Boettcher M, et al. Differentiation of epididymitis and appendix testis torsion by clinical and ultrasound signs in children. Urology. 2013;82:899.