If your epididymitis was caused by a sexually transmitted infection (STI), your partner also will need treatment. If your partner doesn't get treatment, you may get the STI again. Safer sexual practices, such as monogamous sex and condom use, help protect against STIs that can cause epididymitis.
If you have recurrent urninary tract infections or other risk factors for epididymitis, your doctor may discuss with you other ways to prevent epididymitis from recurring.
Nov. 02, 2011
- Nickel JC. Inflammatory conditions of the male genitourinary tract: Prostatitis and related conditions, orchitis, and epididymitis. In: Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1445/0.html. Accessed Aug. 15, 2011.
- Fort GG. Epididymitis. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed Aug. 15, 2011.
- Yin S, et al. Diagnosis and management of testicular torsion, torsion of the appendix testis, and epididymitis. Clinical Pediatric Emergency Medicine. 2009;10:38.
- Trojian T, et al. Epididymitis and orchitis: An overview. American Family Physician. 2009;79:583.
- Schneck FX, et al. Abnormalities of the testes and scrotum and their surgical management. In: Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1445/0.html. Accessed Aug. 15, 2011.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 29, 2011.