Epididymitis usually involves considerable pain. To ease your discomfort:
Oct. 07, 2014
- Rest in bed
- Lie down so that your scrotum is elevated
- Apply cold packs to your scrotum as tolerated
- Wear an athletic supporter
- Avoid lifting heavy objects
- Avoid sexual intercourse until your infection has cleared
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the causes or types of scrotal masses? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- Eyre RC, et al. Evaluation of the acute scrotum in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- Brenner JS. Causes of scrotal pain in children and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- Schaeffer AJ. Complications of urinary bladder catheters and preventive strategies. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- Hedger MP. Immunophysiology and pathology of inflammation in the testis and epididymis. Journal of Andrology. 2011;32:625.
- AskMayoExpert. What evaluation and treatment are indicated for orchitis as a cause of pediatric testicular or scrotal pain? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Pilatz A. Acute epididymitis in ultrasound: Results of a prospective study with baseline and follow-up investigations in 134 patients. European Journal of Radiology. 2013;82:e762.
- Boettcher M, et al. Differentiation of epididymitis and appendix testis torsion by clinical and ultrasound signs in children. Urology. 2013;82:899.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.