Epididymitis is an inflammation of the coiled tube (epididymis) at the back of the testicle that stores and carries sperm. Males of any age can get epididymitis.
Epididymitis is most often caused by a bacterial infection, including sexually transmitted infections (STIs), such as gonorrhea or chlamydia. Sometimes, a testicle also may become inflamed — a condition called epididymo-orchitis.
May 07, 2015
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the causes or types of scrotal masses? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- Eyre RC, et al. Evaluation of the acute scrotum in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- Brenner JS. Causes of scrotal pain in children and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- Schaeffer AJ. Complications of urinary bladder catheters and preventive strategies. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 4, 2014.
- Hedger MP. Immunophysiology and pathology of inflammation in the testis and epididymis. Journal of Andrology. 2011;32:625.
- AskMayoExpert. What evaluation and treatment are indicated for orchitis as a cause of pediatric testicular or scrotal pain? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Pilatz A. Acute epididymitis in ultrasound: Results of a prospective study with baseline and follow-up investigations in 134 patients. European Journal of Radiology. 2013;82:e762.
- Boettcher M, et al. Differentiation of epididymitis and appendix testis torsion by clinical and ultrasound signs in children. Urology. 2013;82:899.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.