Take cavities and tooth decay seriously. Brushing, sealants and avoiding certain foods are important ways to prevent cavities, toothache pain and tooth loss.
Gene therapy is an experimental treatment that involves altering genes in a person's cells to stop disease.
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
Many newborns have tiny white bumps, or milia, on their faces. The best treatment is usually none at all.
Find out what you can expect during a skin biopsy.
Aug. 22, 2014
- Fine JD, et al. Inherited epidermolysis bullosa: Updated recommendations on diagnosis and classification. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. In press. Accessed April 9, 2014.
- Pickert A, et al. Immunodermatology and blistering disorders. Journal of American Academy of Dermatology. 2013;68:AB110.
- Pride HB, et al. What's new in pediatric dermatology? Part 1. Diagnosis and pathogenesis. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2013;68:885.e2.
- Brick K, et al. Epidermolysis bullosa pruriginosa: Further clarification of the phenotype. Pediatric Dermatology. 2012;29:732.
- Lehman JS, et al. Epidermolysis bullosa acquisita: Concise review and practical considerations. International Journal of Dermatology. 2009;48:227.
- Epidermolysis bullosa. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Epidermolysis_Bullosa/. Accessed April 10, 2014.
- About EB. Dystrophic Epidermolysis Bullosa Research Association of America. http://www.debra.org/abouteb. Accessed April 10, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Pemphigoid. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Lebwohl MG. Treatment of Skin Disease. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Saunders; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 10, 2014.
- Pope E, et al. A consensus approach to wound care in epidermolysis bullosa. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2010;67:904.
- Gonzalez ME. Evaluation and treatment of the newborn with epidermolysis bullosa. Seminars in Perinatology. 2013;37:32.
- Lakdawala N, et al. The role of nutrition in dermatologic diseases: Facts and controversies. Clinics in Dermatology. 2013;31:677.
- Jurj G, et al. Epidermolysis bullosa: Report of three cases treated with homeopathy. Homeopathy. 2011;100:264.
- Healthcare problems. Dystrophic Epidermolysis Bullosa Research Association. http://www.debra.org/healthcare. Accessed June 10, 2011. Accessed April 10, 2014.
- Hand JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 8, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.