In eosinophilic esophagitis (e-o-sin-o-FILL-ik uh-sof-uh-JIE-tis), a type of white blood cell (eosinophil) builds up in the lining of the tube that connects your mouth to your stomach (esophagus). This buildup, which is a reaction to foods, allergens or acid reflux, can inflame or injure the esophageal tissue. Damaged esophageal tissue can lead to difficulty swallowing or cause food to get caught when you swallow.
Eosinophilic esophagitis is a chronic immune system disease. It has been identified only in the past two decades, but is now considered a major cause of digestive system (gastrointestinal) illness. Research is ongoing and will likely lead to revisions in its diagnosis and treatment.
Jun. 19, 2014
- Bonus PAL, et al. Pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 28, 2014.
- Dellon ES, et al. ACG clinical guideline: Evidenced based approach to the diagnosis and management of esophageal eosinophilia and eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE). The American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2013;108:679.
- Feldman M., et al. Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com.Accessed Jan. 18, 2014.
- Liacouras CA, et al. Eosinophilic esophagitis: Updated consensus recommendations for children and adults. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2011;128:3.
- Fell JME. Recognition, assessment and management of eosinophilic oesophagitis. Archives of Disease in Childhood. 2013;98:702.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 6, 2014.
- Gorospe EC, et al. New diagnostic and therapeutic frontiers in eosinophilic esophagitis. Minerva gastroenterologica e dietologica. 2013;59:59.
- Medical Edge from Mayo Clinic. Hard to Swallow — EOE. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014. http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-edge/. Accessed March 9, 2014.
- Molina-Infante J, et al. Review article: Proton pump inhibitor therapy for suspected eosinophilic oesophagitis. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2013;37:1157.
- AskMayoExpert. Eosinophilic esophagitis (EE). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Eosinophilic esophagitis. American Academy of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/related-conditions/eosinophilic-esophagitis.aspx. Accessed Jan. 28, 2014.
- Alexander JA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March, 2014.
- Hirano I. Dilation in eosinophilic esophagitis: To do or not to do? Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2010;71:713.
- Lucendo AJ, et al. Empiric 6-food elimination diet induced and maintained prolonged remission in patients with adult eosinophilic esophagitis: A prospective study on the food cause of the disease. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2013;131:797.
- Katzka DA. The skinny on eosinophilic esophagitis. Gastroenterology. 2013;145:1186.
- Hurrell JM, et al. Prevalence of esophageal eosinophilia varies by climate zone in the United States. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2012;107:698.
- Dellon ES. Diagnosis and management of eosinophilic esophagitis. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2012;10:1066.
- Safe use of complementary health products and practices. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/safety. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Fass R. Alternative therapeutic approaches to chronic proton pump inhibitor. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2012;10:338.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 10, 2012.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2013-2014. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/gastroenterology-and-gi-surgery. Accessed March 9, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.