Certain factors increase your risk of developing entropion:
Jan. 22, 2013
- Age. The most common cause of entropion is relaxing muscle tissue associated with aging. The older you are, the greater your chances of developing the condition.
- Previous burns. If you've had a burn on your face, the resulting scar tissue may put you at higher risk of developing entropion.
- Trachoma infection. Because trachoma can scar the inner eyelids, people who have had the infection are more likely to develop entropion.
- Pereira MG, et al. Eyelid entropion. Seminars in Ophthalmology. 2010;25:52.
- Entropion. American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. http://www.asoprs.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3651. Accessed Oct. 15, 2012.
- Boboridis KG, et al. Interventions for involutional lower lid entropion. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD002221.pub2/abstract. Accessed Oct. 31, 2012.
- Wright HR. Epidemiology, diagnosis, and management of trachoma. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 5, 2012.
- Yanoff M, ed., et al. Ophthalmology. 3rd ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/212799885-2/0/1869/0.html. Accessed Oct. 31, 2012.
- Gerstenblith AT, et al., eds. The Wills Eye Manual: Office and Emergency Room Diagnosis and Treatment of Eye Disease. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2012. http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&CSC=Y&NEWS=N&PAGE=booktext&D=books3&AN=01626623/6th_Edition/2&XPATH=/OVIDBOOK%5b1%5d/METADATA%5b1%5d/TBY%5b1%5d/EDITORS%5b1%5d. Accessed Nov. 1, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.