Your spleen is an organ located just below your left rib cage. Many conditions — including infections, liver disease and some cancers — can cause an enlarged spleen, also known as splenomegaly (spleh-no-MEG-uh-lee).
An enlarged spleen usually doesn't cause symptoms. It's often discovered during a routine physical exam. Your doctor generally can't feel a normal-sized spleen in adults but can feel an enlarged spleen. Your doctor will likely request imaging and blood tests to help identify the cause.
Treatment for an enlarged spleen focuses on the underlying condition that's causing it. Surgically removing an enlarged spleen isn't usually the first treatment, but is sometimes recommended.
Aug. 03, 2016
- Landaw SA, et al. Approach to the adult patient with splenomegaly and other splenic disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 14, 2016.
- Splenomegaly. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/hematology_and_oncology/spleen_disorders/splenomegaly.html. Accessed June 14, 2016.
- Longo DL, et al. Enlargement of lymph nodes and spleen. In: Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed June 14, 2016.
- Splenomegaly. U.S. National Library of Medicine. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003276.htm. Accessed June 14, 2016.
- Recommended adult immunization schedule: United States - 2016. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/adult.html. Accessed June 14, 2016.
- Enlarged spleen. The Merck Manuals: Merck Manual Consumer Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/blood-disorders/spleen-disorders/enlarged-spleen. Accessed June 14, 2016.
- Computed tomography (CT) — Abdomen and pelvis. Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=abdominct#preparation. Accessed June 14, 2016.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) — Body. Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=bodymr#preparation. Accessed June 14, 2016.
- Bone marrow aspiration and biopsy. Lab Tests Online. https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/bone-marrow/tab/test/. Accessed June 28, 2016.
- Mesa RA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix, Az. June 14, 2016.
Enlarged spleen (splenomegaly)