Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a parasite. It doesn't make most people ill, but infants and people with HIV/AIDS are at risk of complications.
Infant jaundice, a yellowing of the skin and eyes, is common after birth. Careful monitoring and treatment is important for preventing rare, but serious, complications.
Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
This whooshing sound in your heart is usually harmless, but in some cases heart murmurs can alert your doctor to specific heart conditions.
Sick to your stomach? Nausea and vomiting usually pass quickly but sometimes result from long-term or serious conditions.
Tests and diagnosis
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
A liver biopsy — removal of a small piece of tissue for viewing under a microscope — helps with diagnosis and treatment of liver problems.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Apr. 14, 2012
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..00043-4--s0450&isbn=978-0-323-05611-3&sid=1264123271&uniqId=316059410-4#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..00043-4--s0450. Accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1604-7.00148-2&isbn=978-1-4377-1604-7&sid=1264125672&uniqId=316059410-4#4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1604-7..00148-2. Accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- Wolf AD, et al. Hepatomegaly in neonates and children. Pediatrics in Review. 2000;21:303.
- Managing your medications. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/mym. Accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- Seeff LB. Herbal hepatoxicity. Clinics in Liver Disease. 2007;11:577.
- Talwani R, et al. Infectious diseases and the liver. Clinics in Liver Disease. 2011;15:111.
- Liver health and wellness. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/liverhealth. Accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- Nguyen D, et al. Noninvasive assessment of liver fibrosis. Hepatology. 2011;53:2107.
- Ehman RL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 1, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.