Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a parasite. It doesn't make most people ill, but infants and people with HIV/AIDS are at risk of complications.
Infant jaundice, a yellowing of the skin and eyes, is common after birth. Careful monitoring and treatment is important for preventing rare, but serious, complications.
Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Tests and diagnosis
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
April 14, 2012
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..00043-4--s0450&isbn=978-0-323-05611-3&sid=1264123271&uniqId=316059410-4#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..00043-4--s0450. Accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1604-7.00148-2&isbn=978-1-4377-1604-7&sid=1264125672&uniqId=316059410-4#4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1604-7..00148-2. Accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- Wolf AD, et al. Hepatomegaly in neonates and children. Pediatrics in Review. 2000;21:303.
- Managing your medications. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/mym. Accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- Seeff LB. Herbal hepatoxicity. Clinics in Liver Disease. 2007;11:577.
- Talwani R, et al. Infectious diseases and the liver. Clinics in Liver Disease. 2011;15:111.
- Liver health and wellness. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/liverhealth. Accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- Nguyen D, et al. Noninvasive assessment of liver fibrosis. Hepatology. 2011;53:2107.
- Ehman RL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 1, 2012.