There are ways to improve your condition, even though you can't cure it. Your doctor may recommend the following lifestyle changes:
Apr. 03, 2014
- Quit smoking.
- Lose excess weight.
- Limit salt in your diet.
- Control diabetes.
- Monitor your blood pressure.
- Get modest exercise, after discussing with your doctor the most appropriate program of physical activity.
- Avoid or eliminate alcohol and caffeine.
- Try to sleep eight hours nightly.
- Enlarged heart. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartFailure/AboutHeartFailure/Enlarged-Heart_UCM_450777_Article.jsp. Accessed Nov. 25, 2013.
- What is cardiomyopathy? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/cm/cm_all.html. Accessed Nov. 25, 2013.
- Cooper LT. Definition and classification of the cardiomyopathies. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 25, 2013.
- Colucci WS. Evaluation of the patient with suspected heart failure. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 25, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.