Coping and support
Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Foot pain? Headache? Sore throat? Skin rash? Use the Symptom Checker to find out what's causing your symptom.
Tests and diagnosis
Treatments and drugs
Oct. 13, 2016
- AskMayoExpert. Encopresis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Sood MR. Functional fecal incontinence: Definition, clinical manifestations, and evaluation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 8, 2016.
- Sood MR. Chronic functional constipation and fecal incontinence in infants and children: Treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 8, 2016.
- Turner TL, et al. Toilet training. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 8, 2016.
- Tabbers MM, et al. Evaluation and treatment of functional constipation in infants and children: Evidence-based recommendations for ESPGHAN and NASPGHAN. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition. 2014;58:258.
- Nurko S, et al. Evaluation and treatment of constipation in children and adolescents. American Family Physician. 2014;90:82.
- Encopresis. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Aug. 8, 2016.
- Manini ML (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 12, 2016.