Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
June 13, 2017
- Bennett JE, et al. Encephalitis. In: Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 24, 2017.
- Hardarson HS. Acute viral encephalitis in children: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 31, 2017.
- Ferri FF. Encephalitis, acute viral. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 24, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Viral encephalitis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Gluckman SJ. Viral encephalitis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 24, 2017.
- Meningitis and encephalitis fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Fact-Sheets/Meningitis-and-Encephalitis-Fact-Sheet. Accessed Feb. 1, 2017.
- Dorsett M, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of central nervous system infections in the emergency department. Emergency Medical Clinics of North America. 2016;34:917.
- Patel H, et al. Long-term sequelae of West Nile virus-related illness: A systematic review. The Lancet Infections Diseases. 2015;15:951.
- Hardarson HS. Acute viral encephalitis in children: Treatment and prevention. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 31, 2017.
- Daroff RB, et al. Viral encephalitis and meningitis. In: Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 1, 2017.
- Zachary KC. Acyclovir: An overview. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 1, 2017.
- Breisch N. Prevention of arthropod and insect bites: Repellents and other measures. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 31, 2017.
- West Nile virus FAQ: Insect repellant use and safety. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/westnile/faq/repellent.html. Accessed Feb. 1, 2017.
- West Nile virus: Prevention & control. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/westnile/prevention/index.html. Accessed Feb. 1, 2017.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 24, 2017.
- Howe CL, et al. Neuroprotection mediated by inhibition of calpain during acute viral encephalitis. Scientific Reports. 2016;6:28699.
- Singh TD, et al. Predictors of outcome in HSV encephalitis. Journal of Neurology. 2016;263:277.
- Wormser GP, et al. Update and commentary on four emerging tick-borne infections. Infectious Disease Clinics of North America. 2015;29:371.