Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Heart palpitations are skipped, fluttering or racing heartbeats that aren't usually a symptom of a serious heart problem. Discover the causes and symptoms of this condition.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
Cardiac catheterization is used as a test for some heart conditions and as a procedure to treat some types of heart disease. Find out more.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Jan. 26, 2016
- Connolly HM. Evaluation and prognosis of Eisenmenger syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 20, 2015.
- Connolly HM. Medical management of Eisenmenger syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 20, 2015.
- Warnes CA, et al. ACC/AHA 2008 guidelines for the management of adults with congenital heart disease. Circulation. 2008;118:e714.
- Gatzoulis MA, et al., eds. Eisenmenger syndrome. In: Diagnosis and Management of Adult Congenital Heart Disease. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 15, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Ventricular septal defect. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 15, 2015.
- Gatzoulis MA, et al. Pulmonary arterial hypertension associated with congenital heart disease: Recent advances and future directions. International Journal of Cardiology. 2014;177:340.
- Opotowsky AR, et al. The exceptional and far-flung manifestations of heart failure in Eisenmenger syndrome. Heart Failure Clinics. 2014;177:340.
- Birth control methods. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/birth-control-methods.cfm. Accessed Oct. 25, 2015.
- Bonow RO, et al. Congenital heart disease. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 15, 2015.
- Burton MJ, et al. Infective endocarditis prevention: Update on 2007 guidelines. The American Journal of Medicine. 2007;11:484.
- The impact of congenital heart disease. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/TheImpactofCongenitalHeartDefects/The-Impact-of-Congenital-Heart-Defects_UCM_001218_Article.jsp#.Vi1_O36rTIU. Accessed Oct. 25, 2015.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 2, 2015.
- Connolly HM. Medical management of cyanotic congenital heart disease in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 24, 2015.
- D'Alto M, et al. Pulmonary hypertension in adults with congenital heart disease and Eisenmenger syndrome: Current advanced management strategies. Heart. 2014;100:1322.
- Grogan M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 7, 2015.