Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Heart palpitations are skipped, fluttering or racing heartbeats that aren't usually a symptom of a serious heart problem. Discover the causes and symptoms of this condition.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
Cardiac catheterization is used as a test for some heart conditions and as a procedure to treat some types of heart disease. Find out more.
Even with today's high-tech medical devices, the basic chest X-ray remains an important tool in diagnosing various conditions. Here's a look at how it works.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Echocardiogram allows your doctor to see your heart in motion. Here's what you need to know about the test.
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Jul. 25, 2012
- Connolly HM. Evaluation and prognosis of Eisenmenger syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed April 19, 2012.
- Connolly HM. Medical management of Eisenmenger syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed April 19, 2012.
- Warnes CA, et al. ACC/AHA 2008 guidelines for the management of adults with congenital heart disease. Circulation. 2008;118:e714.
- Beghetti M, et al. Eisenmenger syndrome: A clinical perspective in a new therapeutic era of pulmonary arterial hypertension. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009;53:733.
- Moons P, et al. Eisenmenger syndrome: A clinical review. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 2009;8:237.
- Trojnarska O, et al. Therapeutic methods used in patients with Eisenmenger syndrome. Cardiology Journal. 2009;16:500.
- Zhang ZN, et al. Oral sildenafil treatment for Eisenmenger syndrome: A prospective, open-label, multicentre study. Heart. 2011;97:1876.
- Birth control methods. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/birth-control-methods.cfm.%20Accessed%20May%209, 2012.
- Bonow RO, et al. Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0398-6..C2009-0-59734-6--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0398-6&about=true&uniqId=236798031-10. Accessed May 31, 2012.
- Burton MJ, et al. Infective endocarditis prevention: Update on 2007 guidelines. The American Journal of Medicine. 2007;11:484.