Mitral valve prolapse occurs when the valve separating two of your heart's chambers malfunctions. The disorder usually isn't serious and often doesn't require surgical treatment.
Tests and diagnosis
Echocardiogram allows your doctor to see your heart in motion. Here's what you need to know about the test.
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
Find out what you can expect during a skin biopsy.
Aug. 20, 2015
- Firestein GS, et al. Heritable diseases of connective tissue. In: Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Pauker SP, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Lipoid proteinosis and heritable disorders of connective tissue. In: Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Pauker SP, et al. Overview of the management of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Ehlers Danlos syndrome. National Organization for Rare Disorders. http://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/ehlers-danlos-syndrome. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- An educator's guide: Meeting the needs of the Ehlers-Danlos child. Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation. http://ednf.org/patient-resource-library. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 31, 2015.
- Deyle DR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 7, 2015.