If you have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, it's important to prevent injuries. Here are a few things you can do to safeguard yourself.
Aug. 20, 2015
- Choose sports wisely. Avoid contact sports, weightlifting and other activities that increase your risk of injury. Minimize stress on your hips, knees and ankles that can be caused by running, climbing stairs or step aerobics.
- Rest your jaw. To protect your jaw joint, avoid chewing gum, hard rolls and ice. Take breaks during dental work to close your mouth.
- Avoid certain musical instruments. To prevent a collapsed lung, avoid playing reeded wind or brass instruments. The violin or piano would be safer options and would take advantage of the increased flexibility of your hands.
- Firestein GS, et al. Heritable diseases of connective tissue. In: Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Pauker SP, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Lipoid proteinosis and heritable disorders of connective tissue. In: Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Pauker SP, et al. Overview of the management of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Ehlers Danlos syndrome. National Organization for Rare Disorders. http://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/ehlers-danlos-syndrome. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- An educator's guide: Meeting the needs of the Ehlers-Danlos child. Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation. http://ednf.org/patient-resource-library. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 31, 2015.
- Deyle DR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 7, 2015.