DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Ehlers-Danlos syndrome is a group of inherited disorders that affect your connective tissues — primarily your skin, joints and blood vessel walls. Connective tissue is a complex mixture of proteins and other substances that provides strength and elasticity to the underlying structures in your body.
People who have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome usually have overly flexible joints and stretchy, fragile skin. This can become a problem if you have a wound that requires stitches, because the skin often isn't strong enough to hold them.
A more severe form of the disorder, called vascular Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, can cause the walls of your blood vessels, intestines or uterus to rupture. If you have vascular Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, you may want to talk to a genetic counselor before starting a family.
Aug. 20, 2015
- Firestein GS, et al. Heritable diseases of connective tissue. In: Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Pauker SP, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Lipoid proteinosis and heritable disorders of connective tissue. In: Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Pauker SP, et al. Overview of the management of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Ehlers Danlos syndrome. National Organization for Rare Disorders. http://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/ehlers-danlos-syndrome. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- An educator's guide: Meeting the needs of the Ehlers-Danlos child. Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation. http://ednf.org/patient-resource-library. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 31, 2015.
- Deyle DR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 7, 2015.