Heart disease, usually thought of as blockages in the arteries that can cause a heart attack, can describe any medical condition affecting your heart.
Some people with psoriasis may develop joint pain called psoriatic arthritis. Get the basics here.
Septic arthritis occurs when a joint becomes infected. Find out more about this serious condition.
Thrombophlebitis occurs when a blood clot and swelling develop in a vein, typically in your leg. The cause often is prolonged inactivity or bed rest.
Enlarged heart is often a sign of a serious heart condition. Find out causes and treatments for enlarged heart.
Heart failure means your heart can't efficiently pump blood throughout your body. Medications, and sometimes devices or surgery, can help you manage this condition.
Hemolytic uremic syndrome is an uncommon condition that can cause life-threatening kidney failure, especially for children and older adults.
High blood pressure affecting only the arteries in your lungs is known as pulmonary hypertension. Discover the symptoms, risk factors and treatment for this condition.
Coping and support
Anaphylaxis is the most serious type of allergic reaction. It often occurs rapidly after exposure to an allergen and may be life-threatening.
This whooshing sound in your heart is usually harmless, but in some cases heart murmurs can alert your doctor to specific heart conditions.
Hives and angioedema — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, treatment of these common allergic disorders.
Tests and diagnosis
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Oct. 13, 2011
- Clein LJ. Edema. In: Walsh D, et al. Palliative Medicine. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05674-8..50164-X&isbn=978-0-323-05674-8&sid=1193001782&uniqId=273791682-8#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05674-8..50164-X. Accessed Aug. 17, 2011.
- Rose BD. General principles of the treatment of edema in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 17, 2011.
- Braunwald E, et al. Edema. In: Fauci AS, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Aug. 17, 2011.
- Rose BD. Pathophysiology and etiology of edema in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 17, 2011.
- Rose BD. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of edema in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 17, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.