Many alternative therapies — including chamomile, evening-primrose oil, witch hazel extract and borage seed oil — have been touted as possible ways to treat atopic dermatitis (eczema). However, there's no conclusive evidence that any of these alternative therapies are effective.
If you're considering dietary supplements or other alternative therapy to treat atopic dermatitis, consult your doctor. He or she can help you weigh the pros and cons of specific alternative therapies.
Aug. 23, 2011
- Weston WL, et al. Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis of atopic dermatitis (eczema). http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 21, 2011.
- Weston WL, et al. Treatment of atopic dermatitis (eczema). http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 21, 2011.
- Eczema/atopic dermatitis. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/public/Publications/pamphlets/EczemaAtopicDermatitis.htm. Accessed May 3, 2011.
- What is atopic dermatitis? National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/dermatitis/ffdermatitis.htm. Accessed May 3, 2011.
- Habif TP. Atopic dermatitis. In: Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do? about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9. X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed April 24, 2011.
- Zeppa L, et al. Atopic dermatitis in adults. Dermatitis. 2011;22:40.
- Atopic dermatitis: Possible complications. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.skincarephysicians.com/eczemanet/complications.html. Accessed May 2, 2011.
- Spergel JM. Management of severe refractory atopic dermatitis (eczema). http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 21, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.