A heart arrhythmia is an abnormal heart rhythm. Arrhythmias can be a byproduct of damage to the heart from disease or age.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
Cardiac catheterization is used as a test for some heart conditions and as a procedure to treat some types of heart disease. Find out more.
Echocardiogram allows your doctor to see your heart in motion. Here's what you need to know about the test.
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Treatments and drugs
A heart transplant can help both adults and children with severe heart problems who don't benefit from other treatment options.
Apr. 25, 2013
- Attenhofer JCH, et al. Ebstein's anomaly. Circulation. 2007;115:277.
- Fuster V, ed., et al. Hurst's The Heart. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed March 12, 2013.
- Crawford MH, ed., et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Cardiology. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3649722. Accessed March 12, 2013.
- Silversides CK, et al. Canadian cardiovascular society 2009 consensus conference on the management of adults with congenital heart disease: Outflow tract obstruction, coarctation of the aorta, tetralogy of Fallot, Ebstein anomaly and Marfan's syndrome. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2010;26;e80.
- Zhao W, et al. Pregnancy outcomes in women with Ebstein's anomaly. Archives of Gynecology and Oncology. 2012;286:881.
- Dearani JA, et al. Surgical advances in the treatment of adults with congenital heart disease. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2009;21:565.
- Attenhofer Jost CH, et al. Outcome of cardiac surgery in patients 50 years of age or older with Ebstein anomaly. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2012;59;2101.
- Vogel M, et al. Ebstein's malformation of the tricuspid valve: Short-term outcomes of the "Cone Procedure" versus conventional surgery. Congenital Heart Disease. 2012;7:50.
- U.S. News and World Report Best Hospitals: Cardiology & Heart Surgery. U.S. News and World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/cardiology-and-heart-surgery. Accessed March 13, 2013.
- Grogan M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 17, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.