Congenital heart defects, such as Ebstein's anomaly, happen early in the development of a baby's heart. It's uncertain what risk factors might cause the defect. Genetic and environmental factors are both thought to play a role. People with a family history of heart defects may be more likely to have Ebstein's anomaly. A mother's exposure to certain medications, such as lithium or benzodiazepines, has been associated with Ebstein's anomaly in the child.
Apr. 25, 2013
- Attenhofer JCH, et al. Ebstein's anomaly. Circulation. 2007;115:277.
- Fuster V, ed., et al. Hurst's The Heart. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed March 12, 2013.
- Crawford MH, ed., et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Cardiology. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3649722. Accessed March 12, 2013.
- Silversides CK, et al. Canadian cardiovascular society 2009 consensus conference on the management of adults with congenital heart disease: Outflow tract obstruction, coarctation of the aorta, tetralogy of Fallot, Ebstein anomaly and Marfan's syndrome. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2010;26;e80.
- Zhao W, et al. Pregnancy outcomes in women with Ebstein's anomaly. Archives of Gynecology and Oncology. 2012;286:881.
- Dearani JA, et al. Surgical advances in the treatment of adults with congenital heart disease. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2009;21:565.
- Attenhofer Jost CH, et al. Outcome of cardiac surgery in patients 50 years of age or older with Ebstein anomaly. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2012;59;2101.
- Vogel M, et al. Ebstein's malformation of the tricuspid valve: Short-term outcomes of the "Cone Procedure" versus conventional surgery. Congenital Heart Disease. 2012;7:50.
- U.S. News and World Report Best Hospitals: Cardiology & Heart Surgery. U.S. News and World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/cardiology-and-heart-surgery. Accessed March 13, 2013.
- Grogan M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 17, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.