It's difficult to cope with an eating disorder when you're hit with mixed messages by the media, culture, and perhaps your own family or friends. Whether you or your loved one has an eating disorder, ask your doctor or therapist for advice on coping and emotional support.
Learning effective coping strategies and getting the support you need from family and friends are vital to successful treatment.
Feb. 14, 2015
- Feeding and eating disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Dec. 16, 2014.
- Feed and eating disorders. American Psychiatric Publishing. http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx. Accessed Dec. 18, 2014.
- Complementary, alternative, or integrative health: What's in a name? National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/whatiscam. Accessed Dec. 18, 2014.
- Breuner CC. Complementary, holistic, and integrative medicine: Eating disorders. Pediatrics in Review. 2010;31:e75.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=331. Accessed Nov. 13, 2014.
- Campbell K, et al. Eating disorders in children and adolescents: State of the art review. Pediatrics. 2014;134:582.
- Couturier J, et al. Efficacy of family-based treatment for adolescents with eating disorders: A systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Eating Disorders. 2013;46:3.
- Eating disorders. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/eating-disorders/index.shtml. Accessed Dec. 18, 2014.
- Eating disorders. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.psychiatry.org/eating-disorders. Accessed Dec. 18, 2014.
- Eating disorders. American Psychological Association. http://apa.org/helpcenter/eating.aspx. Accessed Dec. 18, 2014.
- Eating disorders. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&Template=ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=65851. Accessed Dec. 18, 2014.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 20, 2014.
- McElroy SL, et al. Efficacy and safety of lisdexamfetamine for treatment of adults with moderate to severe binge-eating disorder: A randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry. In press. Accessed Jan. 14, 2015.
- Sim LA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 4, 2015.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 5, 2015.
- Hensrud DD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 8, 2015.