- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in nervous system conditions (neurologists) and nervous system surgery (neurosurgeons) have expertise and experience treating people with dystonia. Doctors trained in movement disorders treat people with dystonia and other movement disorders.
- Individualized care. Your doctor will tailor your care to your individual needs. Your treatment depends on the type of dystonia you have.
- Team approach. An integrated team of doctors collaborates to provide your treatment in a caring environment.
- Treatment expertise. Mayo Clinic doctors have expertise treating dystonia with several options, including medications, botulinum toxin injections and deep brain stimulation.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Mayo Clinic doctors trained in nervous system conditions (neurologists) and other areas study genetics, diagnosis and treatment options for dystonia and other movement disorders. Doctors also study deep brain stimulation to treat dystonia and other movement disorders. Read more about movement disorders research on the neurology research website and at the Udall Center of Excellence in Parkinson Disease Research website.
Read about deep brain stimulation as a treatment option for dystonia and other movement disorders at Mayo Clinic.
See a list of publications about dystonia by Mayo Clinic doctors on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
May 12, 2012
- Dystonias fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/dystonias/detail_dystonias.htm. Accessed Feb. 14, 2012.
- Comella C. Classification and evaluation of dystonia. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Feb. 13, 2012.
- Phukan J, et al. Primary dystonia and dystonia-plus syndromes: Clinical characteristics, diagnosis, and pathogenesis. The Lancet Neurology. 2011;10:1074.
- Dystonias. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec16/ch221/ch221c.html. Accessed Feb. 13, 2012.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed Feb. 14, 2012.
- Comella C. Treatment of dystonia. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Feb. 13, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..00013-6--sc0135&isbn=978-0-323-05611-3&uniqId=317541266-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..00013-6--sc0135. Accessed Feb. 14, 2012.
- Ozelius LJ, et al. Milestones in dystonia. Movement Disorders. 2011;26:1106.
- Complementary therapy. Dystonia Medical Research Foundation. http://www.dystonia-foundation.org/pages/complementary_therapy/156.php. Accessed Feb. 14, 2012.
- Terms related to complementary and alternative medicine. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/providers/camterms.htm. Accessed Feb. 15, 2012.
- Yoga for health: An introduction. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/yoga/introduction.htm. Accessed Feb. 15, 2012.