Myasthenia gravis is a condition of muscle weakness caused by a breakdown in communication between nerves and muscles. Treatments can help relieve muscle weakness.
Strep throat is a bacterial throat infection. It typically causes a very sore throat and is treated with antibiotics.
Panic attacks can make you feel like you're having a heart attack. Learn how to manage these intense bursts of fear.
Tests and diagnosis
Esophageal manometry is a test that may be used to help diagnose disorders of the esophagus or to prepare for esophageal surgery.
Find out what to expect during your endoscopy exam.
Oct. 15, 2014
- Fass R. Overview of dysphagia in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 6, 2014.
- Dysphagia. National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders. http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/voice/pages/dysph.aspx. Accessed Aug. 6, 2014.
- Swallowing trouble. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/swallowingTrouble.cfm. Accessed Aug. 6, 2014.
- Dysphagia: Esophageal and swallowing disorders. The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal_disorders/esophageal_and_swallowing_disorders/dysphagia.html. Accessed Aug. 6, 2014.
- Dysphagia. American College of Gastroenterology. http://patients.gi.org/topics/dysphagia/. Accessed Aug. 6, 2014.
- Lembo AJ. Oropharyngeal dysphagia: Clinical features, diagnosis, and management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 6, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.