You're likely to start by seeing your family doctor. He or she may refer you to a doctor who specializes in skin disorders (dermatologist). Here's some information to help you get ready for your appointment.
What you can do
Before your appointment, you may want to write a list that answers the following questions:
- Have you experienced this problem in the past?
- Do you have allergies to certain substances such as rubber, glues, fragrances or nickel?
- Have your stress levels worsened recently?
- What medications and supplements do you take regularly?
- Are you exposed to certain metals or chemicals in the work setting or through hobbies?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions, such as:
- When did you first begin experiencing symptoms?
- Have your symptoms been continuous or occasional?
- How severe are your symptoms?
- What, if anything, seems to improve your symptoms?
- What, if anything, appears to worsen your symptoms?
- Are you exposed to chemicals or metals in the work setting or through a hobby?