Because of the communication problems dysarthria causes, complications can include:
April 24, 2015
- Social difficulty. Communication problems may affect your relationships with family and friends and make social situations challenging.
- Depression. In some people, dysarthria may lead to social isolation and depression.
- Dysarthria. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/dysarthria/. Accessed Feb. 18, 2015.
- Maitin IB, et al. eds. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. New York, NY: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://accessmedicine..com. Accessed Feb. 18, 2015.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed Feb. 18, 2015.
- Drugs that cause dysarthria. Micromedex 2.0 Healthcare Series. http://www.micromedexsolutions.com. Accessed Feb. 18, 2015.