Tests and diagnosis
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Aug. 27, 2011
- Dwarfism: Frequently asked questions. Little People of America. http://www.lpaonline.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=84634. Accessed July 3, 2011.
- Wright MJ, et al. Clinical management of achondroplasia. Archives of Diseases in Childhood. In press. Accessed July 3, 2011.
- Canale ST. Osteochondrosis or Epiphysitis and Other Miscellaneous Affections. In: Canale ST, et al. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.:Mosby Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-03329-9..50032-5--cesec54&isbn=978-0-323-03329-9&sid=1176248236&uniqId=263706808-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-03329-9..50032-5--cesec59. Accessed July 3, 2011.
- Hypochondroplasia. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition=hypochondroplasia. Accessed July 3, 2011.
- Spondyloepiphyseal dysplasia congenita. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition=spondyloepiphysealdysplasiacongenita. Accessed July 3, 2011.
- Diastrophic dysplasia. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition=diastrophicdysplasia. Accessed July 3, 2011.
- Hypopituitarism in children resulting in short stature. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/sec13/ch161/ch161d.html. Accessed July 3, 2011.
- Learning about Turner syndrome. National Human Genome Research Institute. http://www.genome.gov/pfv.cfm?pageID=19519119. Accessed July 3, 2011.
- Achondroplasia. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition=achondroplasia. Accessed July 3, 2011.
- Richmond EJ. Diagnosis of growth hormone deficiency in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 3, 2011.
- Horton WA, et al. Achondroplasia. The Lancet. 2007;370:162.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.