Dust mite allergy is an allergic reaction to tiny bugs that commonly live in house dust. Signs of dust mite allergy include sneezing and runny nose. Many people with dust mite allergy also experience signs of asthma, such as wheezing and difficulty breathing.
Dust mites, close relatives of ticks and spiders, are too small to see without a microscope. Dust mites eat skin cells shed by people, and they thrive in warm, humid environments. In most homes, bedding, upholstered furniture and carpeting provide an ideal environment for dust mites.
Steps to reduce the number of dust mites in your home can often control dust mite allergy. Medications or other treatments may be necessary to relieve symptoms and manage asthma.
May 09, 2013
- Auerbach PS. Wilderness Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa. Mosby Elsevier;2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1678-8..00062-3&isbn=978-1-4377-1678-8&sid=1411680414&uniqId=403732597-9#4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1678-8..00062-3--s0040. Accessed Feb. 23, 2013.
- Reisacher WR. Allergy treatment: Environmental control strategies. Otolaryngology Clinics of North America. 2011;44:711.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed Feb. 23, 2013.
- House dust allergy. American College of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology. http://www.acaai.org/allergist/allergies/Types/dust-allergy-information/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Feb. 23, 2013.
- Dust mites and dust. American Lung Association. http://www.lung.org/healthy-air/home/resources/dust-mites-and-dust.html. Accessed Feb. 23, 2013.
- Rhinitis. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/allergies/rhinitis.aspx. Accessed Feb. 23, 2013.
- Is it a cold or an allergy? National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/allergicDiseases/Documents/coldallergy.pdf. Accessed Feb. 23, 2013.
- Platts-Mills TA. Allergen avoidance in the treatment of asthma and allergic rhinitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 22, 2013.
- Caubet JC. Allergic triggers in atopic dermatitis. Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America. 2010;30:289.
- Tips to remember: Allergy testing. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/patients/publicedmat/tips/whatisallergytesting.stm. Accessed Feb. 23, 2013.
- AAAAI allergy and asthma drug guide. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/treatments/drug-guide.aspx. Accessed Feb. 23, 2013.
- Is rinsing your sinuses safe? U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm316375.htm. Accessed Feb. 23, 2013.
- Montelukast. Micromedex Healthcare Series. http://www.micromedex.com. Accessed Feb. 25, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.